Consumer Reports magazine provided the odds that your newly purchased electronic or appliance will need repair in three to four years.
According to the magazine laptop computers and side-by-side refrigerators with an ice maker and water dispenser are the most likely to need repairs after the initial warranty expires. Over 1/3 of each of each of those items required repairs within four years.
Electric cooktops are the least likely appliance to need a repair with only 9% of those requiring a repair within four years.
Here is a complete list from Consumer Reports magazine with the odds that the newly purchased electronic
or appliance will need repaired in three to four years.
- Laptop computers 36%
- Side-by-side refrigerators with ice maker and water dispenser 36%
- Desktop computer 32%
- Top or bottom-freezer refrigerators with ice maker 28%
- Front-loading washing machines 25%
- Top-loading washing machines 20%
- Canister vacuum cleaners 18%
- Gas ranges 16%
- Top or bottom-freezer models without ice maker 15%
- LCD televisions 15%
- Upright vacuum cleaners 14%
- Gas cooktops 14%
- Electric ranges 13%
- Plasma televisions 10%
Click here's for more from Consumer Reports on Extended Warranties.